Walk in the park, look at the sky: collected thoughts, processes and observations made during the course of making things
- Leap Motion
- Plain Text
Follow this blog using RSS
- 07.12.12 Inspiration: Angelo Badalamenti on creating the theme for Twin Peaks
I first showed this at my talk on creative process at the Creative Liverpool event on 6th December 2012. For me, it's a wonderful example…
- 12.11.12 Goodbye magneticNorth
I can finally announce – following a brief period as part-time Creative Consultant – I have now officially left magneticNorth. For ten yea…
- 02.10.12 Meet Limor 'ladyada' Fried at Adafruit Industries!
Many of the projects I make have Adafruit parts buried inside, but more importantly the amount of stuff I've learned via the Adafruit site…
- 02.10.12 Creating a physical button to mark the now with Electric Imp
An Internet connected button allows me to mark a moment in time together with the surrounding context of what the weather was doing and…
- 21.09.12 Paul Smith on adding interesting touches
"When you're dealing with simplicity it's really just a matter of how you put things together."
- 12.09.12 Bill Moggridge: designing objects that allow us to grow fonder of them
From Gary Hustwit's Objectified, Bill Moggridge – creator of the first laptop and co-founder of Ideo – who passed away on 8th September 201…
- 11.09.12 Paula Scher: Do What You've Never Done Before
Pentagram's Paula Scher talks about designing the identity for The Highline.
- 29.08.12 Internet Connected Walkie-Talkie
Take one nice and cheap audio system for greeting cards, wire it up to Electric Imp, put it into a 1960's Walkie Talkie and you have an…
- 28.08.12 First Steps with Electric Imp
A video demo of my first steps with the wonderful Electric Imp, creating a small, self-contained Internet connected object.
- 24.08.12 An Exploration in Craft: Tanner Goods
Lovely film from Ryan Bush on Portland's Tanner Goods.
- 15.08.12 Animated Vines
I love the sound the paper makes as it moves. Just one of the fascinating projects at the High-Low Tech Group at MIT.
- 15.08.12 Kenneth Grange: I love to make things
"I don't know a scallywag in our industry".
- 15.08.12 Tom Dixon: Enjoy every day for what it brings
"I'm only ever interested in what I'm doing next."
- 13.08.12 Armin Hoffman: The whole point was to do it with the minimal of means
Created for the AIGA by Dress Code, wonderful short piece on Armin Hoffman.
- 10.08.12 Ira Glass on Storytelling
"You want to be constantly raising questions." This American Life's Ira Glass talks about the building blocks of storytelling.
- 09.08.12 Code 2600 Hacker Documentary
"Everything you've ever done is recorded somewhere."
- 09.08.12 Karim Rashid: I feel like I need less and less in my life
"I think people who are sacred with an idea, and don't want to be copied, have no other ideas."
- 06.08.12 Bobby Fischer Against the World
After reading the book Bobby Fischer Goes to War a few years ago, I finally got around to watching the HBO documentary Bobby Fischer…
- 06.08.12 Robert Rodriguez Ten Minute Film School
One my favourite books on creative process and the power of just getting on and making stuff is Rodriguez's Rebel Without A Crew. This…
- 04.08.12 My first DIY Arduino shield made with Fritzing
Recently, whilst looking for a way to document the wiring for the little Arduino projects I make, I chanced upon a great free app called…
- 03.08.12 Stand and watch and listen: Arup's redevelopment of Kings Cross Station
"Suddenly they stop and they go, wow. And then they start to say 'how did they do this?'". Lovely film from Arup's Nigel Morris…
- 02.08.12 Bill Buxton on Design
I never tire of hearing what Bill Buxton has to say. Skip to 4:00, sit back and take it all in.
- 02.08.12 Title designer Richard Morrison: Simple is Good
"I'm reminded of the story of how Ridley Scott sold Alien with just three words – Jaws in Space."
- 01.08.12 Milton Glaser: I move things around until they look right
"Anything I've really discovered has come through the act of making things."
- 31.07.12 Cecil Balmond: Narratives in Space
While I can't really say I'm a fan of the aesthetic of the Orbit, it's fascinating none the less to hear about the idea behind the design…
- 31.07.12 Eames: The Architect and The Painter
Just pre-ordered the DVD that comes out in the UK in September.
- 30.07.12 Erik Spiekermann: I add the sound
Love how Erik Spiekermann talks about how he can get inspiration from something that already exists, then when he draws it the next day…
- 30.07.12 Thomas Heatherwick: the new London Bus
Thomas Heatherwick talks passionately about designing the new London Bus.
- 30.07.12 Wim Crouwel's advice for young designers
"Keep your radar turning".
- 24.07.12 electric imp - connect everything
Excited to learn this morning via email that electric imp will start shipping development kits next week. For me, electric imp is the…