Walk in the park, look at the sky: collected thoughts, processes and observations made during the course of making things
- Leap Motion
- Plain Text
Follow this blog using RSS
- 27.12.10 Why the Boxee Box isn't for me
I really want to love the Boxee Box but try as I might it looks like in its present form at least the Boxee Box isn't for me. I've owned…
- 20.12.10 Use Dropbox to print to a Pogo from an iPhone automatically.
This has come out of a little project I'm currently working on that I thought was pretty handy. I've had a Polaroid Pogo printer for a…
- 02.12.10 Flickr set plugin for Indexhibit
I've made a simple little plugin for anyone using Indexhibit which will display any Flickr set of your choosing from your Flickr account.…
- 02.11.10 Great work is worth paying for; why free apps are a bad thing
Let's not beat around the bush. Free apps are evil. Now it's not that I think the quality of free apps is bad—there are lots of…
- 27.10.10 Why the next version of Accidental News Explorer won't be full of new features.
When I created The Accidental News Explorer I made it mainly for myself. I wanted an app to help me discover new things to read in a way…
- 03.10.10 Why I dropped the simplicity bomb on www.brendandawes.com
Ten years ago I started www.brendandawes.com, my personal site where I store all my personal projects. The site was full of good…
- 29.09.10 Links from my #fotb talk
Here's a few links for some of the things I mentioned at my FOTB session: Saul Bass on the Web www.saulbass.tv Sesame Street Pinball…
- 05.09.10 My Processing source files from #dconstruct
After my talk at this year's Dconstruct I had a few people asking how the presentation was put together? Well it was all put together with…
- 28.08.10 My take on last night's @layertennis match with @joshuadavis
For only the second time, last night I had the honour of taking part in a Layer Tennis match, this time against the wonderful Joshua Davis.…
- 27.08.10 Tonight me and @joshuadavis battle it out
At 7pm GMT today, Friday 27th August, myself and Joshua Davis will face off in the new season of Layer Tennis www.layertennis.com If…
- 24.08.10 Creativity Abhors a Vacuum
We all have egos. The act of creating something from nothing is in itself an egotistical thing. But over the years I've learned that no…
- 11.08.10 Being selfish: making things for yourself to make better things
In the next few days I will finish work on The Accidental News Explorer - a news exploration iPhone app that celebrates serendipity and the…
- 03.08.10 This is why we get up in the morning
It's your shelf space; you decide what goes on your shelves.
- 19.07.10 Flash: it's not you, it's me.
I've had a long standing love affair with Flash – it's been my tool of choice for making things, experimenting with ideas and gen…
- 13.07.10 Norman McLaren - Dots (1940)
- 08.07.10 How many people have you upset today?
We (@mnwork) get lots of lovely emails about us and our work – which is of course very nice indeed. But we also get the occasional piece of h…
- 08.07.10 Frank Gehry: be an expert in your work
"Nobody else is an expert in your work"
- 06.07.10 BLAB night at @northerndigital
As you may have seen I will be doing a little talk at the August Northern Digitals event on August 5th 2010. A few people have tweeted to…
- 02.07.10 Web designers, stop looking at web design
The other day I was adding some podcasts to the wonderful huffduffer, a service that allows you queue podcasts up for listening later. I…
- 01.07.10 Preview of my session for @FITC San Francisco
OK so preview is a bit of a stretch. That would suggest I have it all finished ready to go on Thursday 19th August. Well that would be a…
- 21.06.10 How do we "lend" our digital stuff?
Over the last year or so I've been gradually getting rid of my physical DVD collection and one-by-one ripping each film to disc. When I…
- 11.06.10 Augmented Reality: is it a Bit Rubbish?
I've never been a fan of reality. I hate reality TV shows, never watch them and never allow them to invade my home. I can see reality when…
- 22.04.10 Flash as an attitude not a platform
Many years ago, when I was in a mind numbing job working in a factory, I did a night school course in Pascal programming. I'd grown up…
- 03.04.10 The Invisible Computer
I've always hated computers. Well more specifically I hate what the word computer conjures up for many people; a clever, scary machine that…
- 18.03.10 A hashtag summary of mine and @katiemaymanc's trip to #sxsw
sunshine #rodriguez #penistrauma #alwayslosingmyhotelkey #coudalappearslikemagic #friends #wafflesshapedliketexas #newfriends…
- 29.01.10 Why the web needs Flash
Back in 1998, inspired by a combined love of Alfred Hitchcock, Saul Bass and the grammar of cinema, I created a little project called…
- 28.01.10 iPad: it's all about the context
Like I'm sure many people yesterday, I felt a little bit underwhelmed by the iPad announcment. You could hear the resounding "it's…