Walk in the park, look at the sky: collected thoughts, processes and observations made during the course of making things
- Leap Motion
- Plain Text
Follow this blog using RSS
- 06.12.20 Creating a Custom Mantra Renderer Preset in Houdini
Over the years I've always tried to make some of the more utilitarian processes as efficient as possible, so I can spend more time creating…
- 06.12.20 That Was The Week That Was – 6th December 2020
This week was all about the release of a dream project I had been working on for some weeks. Back in July, Jim Coudal, co-founder,…
- 03.12.20 Houdini Quicktip - Camera Culling
Houdini Quicktip - Camera Culling Really great technique for optimising renders.
- 30.11.20 A Technique to Reveal Points Over Time in Houdini
I recently had a need to reveal a series of points over time, but in a random way. There's no doubt a myriad of ways to do this in Houdini,…
- 29.11.20 That Was The Week That Was – 29th November 2020
This week I found myself filled with equal parts excitement and nervousness. On the Wednesday was my debut drop on NiftyGateway – an NFT A…
- 29.11.20 Moxie Marlinspike Has a Plan to Reclaim Our Privacy | The New Yorker
Moxie Marlinspike Has a Plan to Reclaim Our Privacy | The New Yorker Fascinating piece about the founder of Signal.
- 22.11.20 That Was The Week That Was – 22nd November 2020
After buying a Beomaster 1900 from Ebay to replace my Beomaster 1500, I realised a few days later that several of the bulbs – the ones for b…
- 16.11.20 Scaling Packed Primitives with Vex in Houdini
Making a note of this handy code snippet I found on https://forums.odforce.net/topic/23353-scaling-packed-objects-with-vex/ for scaling P…
- 15.11.20 GETTING STARTED WITH HQUEUE
GETTING STARTED WITH HQUEUE Need to get this setup on my own system.
- 15.11.20 How the Coronavirus Hacks the Immune System | The New Yorker
How the Coronavirus Hacks the Immune System | The New Yorker Fascinating article in The New Yorker about how the Coronavirus works and how…
- 05.11.20 Touch is a language we cannot afford to forget | Aeon Essays
Touch is a language we cannot afford to forget | Aeon Essays Fascinating read within the context of the COVID pandemic.
- 04.11.20 Jacob Jensen, a design icon - Design heritage | B&O
Jacob Jensen, a design icon - Design heritage | B&O I’m lucky to have a few Jensen designed objects including a phone, alarm clock, a B…
- 02.11.20 If ever we need beautiful stationery, the time is now.
If ever we need beautiful stationery, the time is now. I have a box of the Capri note cards and envelopes from Pineider, and they are…
- 31.10.20 Modal Jazz Explained - Improvisation and Harmony
Modal Jazz Explained - Improvisation and Harmony This is a great explanation of the difference between tonal jazz and modal jazz.
- 22.10.20 WIP: New series of typographic works using city population density data
Work-in-progress of upcoming series of typographic based works, using population density for various world cities.
- 21.10.20 Art of Cybersecurity at Art Futura 2020
As part of the Bright Festival_Connect running in Leipzig, my Art of Cybersecurity work will be shown within the Future Graphics program of…
- 20.10.20 Creating a symbolic link to another file or directory
In the process of rendering a large number of files in Houdini I often need to use the 16TB external drive rather than my Mac’s internal d…
- 19.10.20 Inspiration shoud always be a fuzzy thing
Right now the work I’m making is often monochromatic, exploring light and shadow, composition and contrast within a greyscale palette. This i…
- 19.10.20 How many Caran d’Ache 849s are too many?
The Caran d’Ache 849 is one of my favourite pens. It’s slightly smaller than most, making it a great pen to carry with you and the hex…
- 19.10.20 Kenya Hara – White
One of my favourite books on design (though it’s more than that) is Kenya Hara’s Designing Design. Now I’ve added his 100 Whites to my Hara…
- 19.10.20 Happiness is in the quiet, ordinary things.
"Happiness is in the quiet, ordinary things. A table, a chair, a book with a paper-knife stuck between the pages. And the petal…
- 18.10.20 Par Avion
Par Avion Never realised that Pineider were the original creators of the classic Par Avion design.
- 17.10.20 Art by algorithm
Art by algorithm Written in 2017 but still a great read.
- 24.08.20 That Was The Week That Was – 24th August 2020
The majority of my time this week was spent working on my third commission from Trend Micro. The majority of the scenes are now rendered,…
- 16.08.20 That Was The Week That Was – 16th August 2020
I've always been a fan of mechanical keyboards, my absolute favorite being the Apple II extended. Yet it's a pain to use with modern…
- 16.08.20 Shape Grammars
Shape Grammars# This looks like a nice companion to Analog Algorithm.
- 13.08.20 How the Simulmatics Corporation Invented the Future | The New Yorker
How the Simulmatics Corporation Invented the Future | The New Yorker
- 09.08.20 That Was The Week That Was – 9th August 2020
For twelve years my 2nd generation Drobo has been my main archive drive, with 16TB of data whirring away under my desk, storing all my…
- 09.08.20 Attention pays - Finding beauty in ordinary things
Attention pays - Finding beauty in ordinary things
- 07.08.20 Wabi Sabi
Wabi Sabi Wabi sabi as an aesthetic concept is generally described as a beauty of things imperfect, impermanent and incomplete. A beauty of…